Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Seven Years in Kolkata



I never realised I would miss Kolkata. Because I always thought of different things. The dust and pace of Mumbai clouded all thoughts, smells and visions that Kolkata brings to the mind. But an email from Kolkata changed all that. A photograph of buses plying on a Kolkata street with a caption reading 'Are e conductor, bus ta jore chalate bol na...' and another of the Victoria Memorial with a caption 'E baba, Victoria te ja dekhlam na! Ishshsh....' brought alive all those familiar sounds and visions. I suddenly felt I could hear the sounds of buses racing on the Chowringhee. And smell the Pani Puri near AC Market. All other familiar sounds too..
Shayad sab kuch waisa hi hai Kolkata me..
Bas hum wahan nahi hain.
Kolkata tumi kemon acho, Ami Mumbai tey bhalo achi..

2 comments:

. said...

Amio Mumbai te bhalo achi.

But the hundreds of insignificant trails that were a part and parcel of my everyday life there is what I really miss.

How is Mashi? How is Istiri-kaka? How is the shopowner from whom I used to buy my daily packet of Biris? How is the wineshop owner who more than gratified us by providing beer in the late hours at night? How is Dumdum railway station, where DJ and I have whiled away numerous moments of esctacy, loneliness and fraustation? How are the loadshedding-ridden dark gallis of Sethbagan that turned silver on the full-moon nights? And how are the anglers who sat around the pond on Sundays and return home with their prized catches(Some of the catches were really big!).

They all must be carrying on as usual, without realizing that we miss them. Well, if you have fallen in love with Kolkata, she can hardly do anything about it... :)

Unknown said...

kolkata is very much fine...dont worry lot are there to look after her.....good shayari afterall....hahahaha